Saturday, February 26, 2011

...Steve Young, Little Wings, The Stepkids...

In this post, I'm going to give you a little bit of everything- something old, something new, and a taste of something that's not even released yet.

First of all, something old...
These songs are off Rock Salt And Nails, an album by Steve Young -no, not the San Fran 49ers quarterback- rather, a country singer from the 60s and 70s. Although, not as widely known as some of his peers, his songs were covered by Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr., and the Eagles. This album, from 1969, has a diversity of styles on it, but the stand out tracks, in my opinion, are the ones that take mellow country songs and infuse them with a bit of soul.
"Steve Young: That's How Strong My Love Is"

"Steve Young: Love In My Time"

Next, something new...

I've been a big fan of Little Wings, and Kyle Fields in general, for quite a few years, so I was super excited to hear that Marriage Records was releasing his new album, Black Grass, this month. The last Little Wings album, Soft Pow'r, was released way back in 2007, so there definitely had been some anticipation building inside of me. Well, the record is here, and I am not disappointed. Mr. Fields remains consistent- mellow vibes, off kilter vocals, and easy grooves...the steady beats give it a little more of a band feel, but they don't sacrifice the intimacy that I have grown to expect from Kyle. Get a feel for it below.


"Little Wings: Little Bit"

"Little Wings: How Come"

Finally, something upcoming...


I just discovered these guys yesterday. I don't know much about them, but I'll share what I've got. First of all, they call themselves The Stepkids. They are putting out a 12" single entitled Shadows On Behalf/ La La in April, on Stones Throw Records and you can expect a full length from them sometime in the fall. I'm not sure what the entire album will sound like, but if the songs and video below are any indication, it's going to be BEAST!!!! Stones Throw and the soul revival strike again!!! Make sure to check out their live set and interview over at BTR.

"The Stepkids: Shadows On Behalf"

"The Stepkids: Legend In My Own Mind"

1 comment:

  1. the steve young tunes are good, but they didn't knock me out - could be the eagles connection or something about the expression on his face on the cover.

    the little wings selections are so good!! i've played them many times over since this was posted. solid.

    the stepkids are a step ahead of any contemporary act i've heard trying to capture the old soul spirit to date. the second tune is my favorite due to some of the non-soul aspects fused in. would love to hear them pair things way back & get ultra mellow, but truly, this is stellar stuff. great discovery. d

    ReplyDelete